POSITION AVAILABLE: AFL CAIRNS UMPIRE MANAGER
AFL Cairns (AFLC) Umpire Manager
Reports to the AFL Cairns Football Operations Manager.
Full-time, 38 hours per week. Out of hours work will be required.
HOURS OF DUTY
In season work hours per week will include some weeknights and Sundays for attendance at junior football. Flexibility regarding working hours is required during football season.
- Sporting Organisations Award 2020 (SOA); and
- National Employment Standards, Fair Work Act 2009 (NES).
+ Super Guarantee rate
+ 5 weeks Annual Leave
+ 17.5% Leave Loading
+ Mobile phone with allowance for reasonable personal use.
*Expenditure above telco contract per month cap at employee’s expense.
The position is Permanent with a six-month probation from the date of commencement.
WHS and POLICY & PROCEDURE RESPONSIBILITIES
- The employee shall comply with the Workplace Health & Safety Act, Regulations, Codes of Practice and AFL Cairns Policies and Procedures
- The AFLC Policies and Procedures have been developed for the safety, protection and well-being of the individual employee and the company.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
As Umpire Manager, you will work in conjunction with AFL Cairns and AFL Cairns Juniors and their Boards of Management and Football Operations departments to oversee the umpire administration and umpire development for the three competitions (Men, Women and Juniors).
The successful applicant will lead the umpire coaching strategy with assistance from junior coaches and maintain appropriate umpire administration and management, which includes recruitment, retention, and development of umpires across all disciplines.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONBILITIES
Job Tasks Profile
- Provide leadership and direction to umpires and umpiring within the region.
- Attend meetings of the Management Committee as required and report on umpiring matters and issues.
- Develop and drive an umpire recruitment and retention strategy.
- Conduct basic umpire courses within the region.
- Educate all relevant personnel on new laws and changes to laws and interpretations.
- Oversee the process for umpire selection for weekly appointments to all region fixture matches, including representative and junior carnivals.
- Liaise weekly with the Operations Manager for any specific areas of concern or issues that require umpire attention at any AFL Cairns matches.
- Attend AFL Queensland umpire training camps and conferences as required.
- Build rapport between AFL Cairns Clubs and the umpiring group.
- Other reasonable tasks at the discretion of the General Manager and/or Operations Manager.
- In consultation with the AFLQ Community Umpire Development Manager, ensure an annual coaching and development plan is delivered in the region.
- Formulate, distribute and implement an umpire appointment selection policy (regular season & finals).
- Provide direction and KPIs to the junior coaches.
- Establish a formal umpire assessment and feedback procedure for all umpires.
- Provide mentoring at training and match days for umpires as required.
- Supervise umpire accreditation within the region.
- Highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Well-developed management and organisational skills.
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities both at regional and National AFL level.
- Sound operational knowledge of umpire accreditation pathways.
- Experience at all levels of umpiring (field, goal and boundary).
- Working with Children Blue Card (or ability to obtain).
- Minimum of Level 1 National AFL Umpiring Accreditation (field).
- Previous experience in umpiring / officiating in Australian Football or other relevant sporting environment.
- The ability to field umpire Senior and Junior football.
- 100% registration for all AFLQ appointed umpires.
- 4 x phone conference attendance with AFLQ Community Umpire Development Manager.
- Implement the Umpire Training Plan to suit the region & consistent with AFLQ expectations.
- Deliver on the finalised recruitment and retention strategy.
- Provide input towards the Umpire Associations Operational Plan and Budget.
- Demonstrate effective use of an Umpire Feedback/Reporting database.
For further information, contact AFL Cairns on 07 4042 3000.
Applications, including CV and Cover Letter addressing the above criteria, should be sent firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close Wednesday, 18th of January 2023.