The Indigenous/South Pacific boys made it two wins in a row (2015 & 2016) and now lead the series, 2-1 (Cairns All Stars won the inaugural year, 2014) after a 14 point victory in wet and trying conditions at Cazalys Stadium on Friday Night.
See below the Final Teams for last Friday Night:
B: Khyle Goodman (Centrals TB), Luke Anning (South Cairns), Wes Glass (Port Douglas)
HB: Alex Bendle (Port Douglas), Declan Kelly (Port Douglas), Rohan Couch (Cairns Saints)
C: Kurt Bradshaw (Centrals TB), Zac Kelly (Cairns Saints), Dylan Wearmouth (Port Douglas)
HF: James Dixon (South Cairns), Aaron McNab (Cairns City Lions), Cameron Gaucci (Manunda Hawks)
F: Jesse Mawson (Port Douglas), Kye Chapple (Port Douglas), Adam Gross (Cairns City Lions)
R: Sam Conroy (Centrals TB), Dean Gavin (Cairns Saints), Jayden Holt (Centrals TB)
Int: Thomas Keygan (Cairns City Lions), Michael Douglas (South Cairns), Corey Flint (Manunda Hawks), Cameron Adam (Cairns City Lions), Ryan Etherington (South Cairns)
Indigenous/South Pacific All-Stars:
B: Duncan Seden (Cairns City Lions), Mitchell Taylor (Cairns City Lions), Bradwell Dick (Manunda Hawks)
HB: Dwayne Bosen (Cairns City Lions), Jermaine Wardle (South Cairns), Willie Aisi (Manunda Hawks)
C: Tommy Mooka (Cairns City Lions), Greg Braico (Cairns City Lions), Neal Teale (South Cairns)
HF: Kerry Williams (Manunda Hawks), Travis Thorne (North Cairns), Brandon Lovell (Cairns City Lions)
F: Timakoi Bowie (Cairns Saints), Leroy Enosa (North Cairns), Willy Alick (North Cairns)
R: Liam Woodcock-Nolan (Cairns City Lions), Tyler Gorogo (North Cairns), Damien Roe (Centrals TB)
Int: Damien Dewis (South Cairns), Elia Ware (Manunda Hawks), Marcus McGregor-Cassady (Cairns City Lions), Joey Kura (Cairns Saints)
As for the Captains and Coaching Staff of both Teams:
Cairns Saints Playing Coach, Zac Kelly was selected as Captain of the Cairns All Stars Team, with Port Douglas’ Dylan Wearmouth named his deputy.
The Cairns All Stars team was again be coached by 2015 South Cairns Coach, Daniel Lock and was assisted by current Cairns City Lions Co-Coach, Luke Webb as well as two-time Crathern Medallist from Cairns Saints, Matthew Walsh.
The Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars named Co-Captains, Cairns City Lions veteran Greg Braico and Manunda Hawks Willi Aisi
This team was coached by Manunda Hawks Coach, Marc Harbrow with assistance from Gavin Ham as well as Tiger, Kim Tennick fulfilling the Team Managers Role.
Congratulations to the following Umpires who were appointed to the All Stars Representative Game as Officials
Field: Rowan Tattersall, Luke Heard & John Leahy
Boundary: Flynn Cahill, Destin Edwards, William Heard & Sam Gall
Goal: Solomon Henderson & Stacey Heard
All Stars Review:
You would be forgiven if you arrived to Cazalys Stadium last Friday Night disappointed. Disappointed in the weather, nothing else. Despite a day of rain making the surface very wet, the game was another close contest. Despite having the biggest winning margin of 14 points since the All Stars concept began in 2014, it was the tightest game to date. With minutes to go, it was still either sides game for the taking, but two quick goals in the final three minutes saw the margin extend.
The Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars jumped out of the blocks early to stun the Cairns All Stars. At the 7th minute, it was 18-1 in favour of the Indigenous/South Pacific after early goals to Timakoi Bowie, Damien Dewis and Elia Ware. The contest tightened as the Cairns side looked to control the football, but Damien Roe from the Indigenous/South Pacific side, extended the impressive margin to 4 goals. The Cairns side rallied and kicked 2 in a minute to lessen the margin heading into the 1st change. Goals to Kye Chapple and Adam Gross kept the Cairns All Stars in touch (1/4 Time: Cairns All Stars 2.1-13 vs. Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars 4.0-24).
In the same way he finished the 1st, Adam Gross started the 2nd, kicking his 2nd to lift the Cairns outfit. Club teammate, Aaron McNab goaled at the midway point of the 2nd to see the Cairns All Stars hit the front for the 1st time, by 1 point. Youngster, Timakoi Bowie kicked his 2nd for the game with only minutes to go before ½ time. Lowah’s goal saw the Indigenous/South Pacific lead by 6 points (1/2 Time: Cairns All Stars 4.2-26 vs. Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars 5.2-32).
Despite the terrible conditions throughout the day, the 1st half saw little rain, but after the main break the rain started to pour again. This took the pace out of the game and bought into the contest the in and under players. Despite the rain, no player from either team held back. All players went as hard as they could. Cairns All Stars livewire in Adam Gross bagged his 3rd of the game early in the term, with McNab kicking his 2nd for the Cairns side to hit the front. Swingman for the Indigenous/South Pacific Dwayne Bosen kicked his sides 6th with only minutes to go before the siren to edge 1 point clear heading into the final change (3/4 Time: Cairns All Stars 6.4-40 vs. Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars 6.5-41).
With the game in the balance, it was a goalless 14 minutes to start the quarter but Willie Alick, a 3 time Indigenous/South Pacific Player broke the drought to edge his side closer to victory. The Cairns All Stars fired everything in the final minutes with a play on at all costs approach, but with seconds to go Duncan Seden sealed what was an emphatic victory for the Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars, recording a 14 point win (Full-Time: Cairns All Stars 6.4-40 def. by Indigenous/South Pacific 8.6-54)
Final Score: Cairns All Stars 6.4-40 def. by Indigenous/South Pacific 8.6-54
Cairns All Stars Goal Kickers: A. Gross (3), A.Mcnab (2), K. Chapple (1)
Cairns All Stars Best: Alex Bendle, Adam Gross, Jayden Holt, Dean Gavin, Dylan Wearmouth, Rohan Couch
Indigenous/South Pacific Goal Kickers: T. Bowie (2), D. Dewis (1), D. Roe (1), E. Ware (1), D. Bosen (1), W. Alick (1), D. Seden (1)
Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars: Timakoi Bowie, Damien Roe, Greg Braico, Jermaine Wardle, Neal Teale, Brandon Lovell
- Overall AFL Cairns Best on Ground: Greg Braico (Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars)
- Cairns All Stars Best on Ground (as selected by Cairns All Stars Coaches) – Alex Bendle
- Cairns All Stars Best on Ground (as selected by Indigenous/South Pacific Coaches) – Adam Gross
- Indigenous/South Pacific Best on Ground (as selected by Indigenous/South Pacific Coaches) – Timakoi Bowie
- Indigenous/South Pacific Best on Ground (as selected by Cairns All Stars Coaches) – Damien Roe
AFL Cairns must also acknowledge a few people/clubs from last Friday’s AFL Cairns All Stars Representative Match.
- The Coaches; Daniel Lock – Cairns All Stars and Marc Harbrow – Indigenous/South Pacific All Stars
- Support Staff of both sides; Luke Webb, Matthew Walsh & Paul Buller (Cairns All Stars) and Gavin Ham, Kim Tennick & Tim Churchin (Indigenous/South Pacific)
- Rick Hanlon, North Queensland Head Coach who has overseen the All Stars Representative Program
- All the Players – for their commitment to the program (training and game)
- All of the Clubs – for your support of the Program and assisting AFL Cairns to communicate with the Players
- Rowan Tattersall and the AFLCUA for their involvement in the Match
- Cate Mahoney for being the Match Manager
- Our Trainers that assisted during training and match day; Briony Pratt, Meri Okihira, Josh Porta, Jude Davis & Melissa Smith
- Manunda Hawks FC for their hospitality at the Team Selection Dinner, the Canteen/Bar during the game and the Post Match Presentations.
- Centrals TB, Cairns City Lions, North Cairns & Cairns Saints for allowing both teams to utilise Crathern Park, Holloways Beach Sporting Complex, Watsons Oval & Griffiths Park during the fortnight of training
- AFL Cape York Eagles FC for providing Water Carriers for both teams and the Umpires as well as acting as Ball Retrievers throughout the game
- Brett Pascoe for again taking photos of all the action
- AFL Cairns Staff who assisted in the lead up to the event and throughout the match
Once again, congratulations, well done & thank you to everyone that was involved, supported and assisted the AFL Cairns All Stars Representative Program. It was a success and something that AFL Cairns will continue to grow in years to come.
As you are all aware, the All Stars match aids selection for the NQ Representative team, who will take on SQ as a curtain raiser to the Round 17 AFL Toyota Premiership Match between Western Bulldogs vs. Gold Coast SUNS on Saturday, 16th July 2016 at Cazalys Stadium. Again, we hope that Cairns will make up a large percentage of the team (previous years Cairns have had 15-18 Players of the 23-man team). NQ will be made up of players from AFL Cairns, AFL Townsville, AFL Mackay, AFL Mt Isa and AFL Capricornia.
As previously announced, one of Queensland’s most respected coaches, AFL Cape York Regional Manager Rick Hanlon will take the reins of the North Queensland team. In the coming week, AFL Cairns will put together a Cairns based contingent for the NQ squad.